[Insight-users] Watershed plateau problem

Aymeric Perchant aymeric at maunakeatech . com
Mon, 19 May 2003 13:50:40 +0200

Having read the fabulous InsigthSoftwareGuide.pdf I discovered that the watershed implementation was a "top down", "steepest gradient descent" implementation that works well on float, or even color images.

A morphological watershed on a binary image should be a skiz (skeleton by influence zone). The ITK watershed does not have this feature. The real problem is that it does not behave well on plateaus : a given plateau in an image can only belong to one segment. Whereas it should be split according to what nearest minima a pixel belong to.

How can I adress this plateau problem with itk ? Do I have to write a morphological watershed, like the one Vincent & Soille proposed (IEEE PAMI, Vol 13 No 6, june 1991 : Watershed in digital spaces: An efficient algoritm based on immersion simulations) ?

Thanks,

Aymeric Perchant