[Insight-users] Watershed plateau problem

Joshua Cates cates at sci . utah . edu
Mon, 19 May 2003 11:09:15 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Aymeric,

Yes the ITK watersheds implementation is not morphological watersheds as
you describe so if you need that particular algorithm it will have to be
implemented separately.  You may be able to reuse some of the components
of the existing watershed filter.

In our experience thus far with the ITK implementation and medical images,
we have found that plateaus typically only result when the edge image used
as input to the watershed filter is thresholded.  In other words, we only
find plateaus that we artificially create in the data.  This makes them
less of an issue because any such thresholding is usually done to remove
low, background values.

Josh.

 Josh Cates
 School of Computer Science