[Insight-users] 3d mesh reconstruction based on 2d images

Mark Foskey mark_foskey at unc . edu
Mon, 26 May 2003 16:10:49 -0400

There are two possibilities that I can think of off hand.  The first,
which is probably the best-tested, is to use itk::ImageToVtkImageFilter
from

   InsightApplications\Auxiliary\vtk\itkImageToVtkImageFilter.h

to convert the binary mask to a VTK image.  Then VTK has several
options for generating meshes, such as vtkMarchingCubes.  You may want
to use a filter such as itk::DiscreteGaussianImageFilter to smooth the
image slightly first.

Another option is to use the itk::BinaryMask3DMeshSource filter to
generate a mesh, which you can then export.  That is also an
implementation of the Marching Cubes algorithm, I believe.