[Insight-users] MR volume: slice location + spacing pb

Stephen R. Aylward aylward at unc . edu
Wed, 28 May 2003 15:18:33 -0400

MR can be acquired with spacing difference from slice thickness, and
with either varying throughout the volume.

If the spacing/thickness is constant throughtout the volume: All that
you can hope to do is assume that slice spacing is the same as slice
thickness - I have no idea how to program a gradient filter that handles
differences in spacing and thickness. My suggestion is to ignore
thickness and use only spacing.

If the MR was acquired with difference spacing/thickness throughout the
volume... the itk image format doesn't support such data - you must
derive a class from the image class.   Also, most of the filters won't
work correctly (generally they only check slice thickness once, and use
it for all subsequent calculations - only perhaps some of the
registration stuff done in physical coordinates will work).

There are some packages that deal with such data - PLUNC is one such
package that can be licensed - it is intended for radiation therapy
treatment planning - such funky MR/CT protocols are common in radonc.

Good luck,
Stephen