[Insight-users] More on: Can metrics handle nodata/void data values ?

Fri, 03 Oct 2003 14:10:11 -0400

Hi Carolyn,

There are several options for implementing the masking
of pixels during the metric computation.

We could imagine:

A) Non-Slick "if" statement in the interpolator

B) Iterators with attached mask that will skip
    non-data values

C) Masked image that answers whether a pixel is
    valid or not.

D) Explicitly adding the mask to the Metric
    and setting another non-slick if statement.

Option (A) and (B) may not be that bad since the
evaluation of the interpolator (unfortunately)
involve a significant amount of code. An extra
if may not be too much of a disadvantage, at least
as far as performance is concerned.

Option (B) may be quite elegant but also harder
to implement an maintain. The main concern there
is to find a way of not penalizing the normal
use of iterators.  There are at the hearth of
computations in all ITK filters. If we go that
way, we should probably duplicate the interpolators
in order to have new interpolator classes supporting
masking.

Option (C) could be implemented using SpatialObjects.
The big difference here is that the registration will
be then performed between two SpatialObjects that
each one encapsulate an image (fixed and moving images
respectively).

I still would be inclined to do the modifications on
the metrics themselves, rather than the iterators.
Making the change in the iterator simply hides the
"if" deeper into the code.

For example, If we look at the code of MeanSquaresImage
Metric (about lines 66-84). The masking could be implemented
by adding the lines marked with "#"

>   while(!ti.IsAtEnd())
>     {
>
>     index = ti.GetIndex();
>
>     typename Superclass::InputPointType inputPoint;
>     fixedImage->TransformIndexToPhysicalPoint( index, inputPoint );

#     if( !m_FixedSpatialObjectMask->IsInside( inputPoint ) )
#        {
#        ++ti;
#        continue;
#        }

>     typename Superclass::OutputPointType transformedPoint = m_Transform->TransformPoint( inputPoint );

#     if( !m_MovingSpatialObjectMask->IsInside( transformedPoint ) )
#        {
#        ++ti;
#        continue;
#        }

>     if( m_Interpolator->IsInsideBuffer( transformedPoint ) )
>       {
>       const RealType movingValue  = m_Interpolator->Evaluate( transformedPoint );
>       const RealType fixedValue   = ti.Get();
>       m_NumberOfPixelsCounted++;
>       const RealType diff = movingValue - fixedValue;
>       measure += diff * diff;
>       }

Similar lines should be inserted in the GetDerivative and
GetValueAndDerivative() methods.

The Fixed and Moving SpatialObject mask could be added at the level
of the ImageToImageMetric class.

This modification has been entered as a "Feature Request" in the
Bug tracker, under ID = 255.
http://www . itk . org/Bug/query . php?op=query

We will be very interested in following your tests if you
implement this feature in the immediate future.
(or in coordinating efforts otherwise).

    Luis