[Insight-users] Re: regarding 2D stacking

Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:38:12 -0400

Hi Sharad,

You can read series of 2D images and pack them in a 3D image
by using the SeriesFileIterator and the ImageSeriesReader.

The code will look like:

typedef  itk::NumericSeriesFileIterator   NameGeneratorType;
typedef  itk::ImageSeriesReader<Image3DType>  ReaderType;

NameGeneratorType::Pointer nameIter = NameGeneratorType::New();
   nameIter->SetSeriesFormat("file%03d.png");

   reader->SetFileIterator(fileIter);
   reader->Update();

You may want to take a look at the file:

   Insight/Testing/Code/IO/itkImageSeriesIOTest.cxx

Note that you will have to manually set the spacing in
the third dimension since the 2D files don't provide
this information.

Also, if by "bitmaps" you meant .BMP files, you may have
to convert them first to PNG format. There is currently
no support for BMP files in ITK, partially because this
is a poor format for represnting medical images. You
can convert the files using the ImageMagick tools, or...
it is likely that your microscope offer an alternative
file format for saving images.