[Insight-users] Normalized Mutual Information Metric

Raghavendra Chandrashekara rc3 at doc . ic . ac . uk
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:20:52 +0100

Thomas Boettger wrote:
> Does anyone know "how usable" the class
> NormalizedMutualInformationMetric is? What are the Derivative StepLength
> and Scale for? And which parameters need to be set. I couldn't find an
> example. Is it still to early to use this metric?
>
> And why isn't there a binning parameter? Does the histogram size
> determine the number of gray value classes and has the same affect as
> binning?
>
> Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Sorry about the delay in replying. I was one of the people who helped to
  write the code for this metric. If you still need some help then
please let me know and I will try to answer your questions. As for the
questions you asked previously:

(1) What is the derivative step length?

The derivative is calculated using finite differences. The derivative
step length gives the step length for each transformation parameter when
the derivative is being calculated.

(2) What is the scale for?

Since the transformation parameters are not always distances (e.g. they
could be rotation angles), the derivative step length scales allow you
to specify a scaling factor for the step length corresponding to a
particular transformation parameter. The scaling factor is used when the
derivative is being calculated to scale the step length for that
transformation parameter.

(3) And why isn't there a binning parameter? Does the histogram size
determine the number of gray value classes and has the same affect as
binning?

Yes that's right the histogram size determines the number of gray value
classes.

There is an example on how to use the metric in:

Testing/Code/Algorithms/itkNormalizedMutualInformationHistogramImageToImageMetricTest.cxx

Please let me know if you need any more help.

Thanks,

Raghavendra