[Insight-users] Semiautomatic liver segmentation

Ivan Macia imacia at vicomtech . es
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:54:19 +0200

Dear ITK users

Im working on a semiautomatic segmentation of the liver surface using MRI
images. Im trying to test several segmentation methods using the algorithms
available in ITK.

One of the approaches I have taken is using the Neighborhood Connected
Threshold filter to segment the liver after a first preprocessing of the
image using Curvature Flow filter. The results are reasonably good but still
the segmentation result includes many areas outside the liver region. There
is also the difficulty of selecting the thresholds for the Neighborhood
filter due to the variability of the intensities with MRI images.

I am currently working in the implementation of Geodesic Active Contours
following the pipeline in the ITK guide. I am also thinking in trying
Watershed filter.

Has anyone had experience with liver segmentation with MRI? I have seen that
there is an ITK project going on about this.  I would like to know, if
possible, which methods or preprocessing steps have given good results or
any good reference to the topic.

Thank you very much in advance for your help

Ivan Macia

__________________________________
Ivan Macia
Ing. Industrial