[Insight-users] Semiautomatic liver segmentation

Joshua Cates cates at sci . utah . edu
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:31:02 -0600 (MDT)

Hello Ivan,

To examine the feasibility of watersheds, you might try the
SegmentationEditor application in the InsightApplications repository.  It
is a little work to build because it requires VTK, but will guide you
through a 3D seg of your data.  You could also test out the
threshold-based level-set segmentation in the
ThresholdSegmentationLevelSetFltkGUI, which is a sort of level-set analog
of a neighborhood connected filter.  The application is 2D but might give
you some indication of whether that method would work for you.

Other things you might try: generate a prior using your connected
component filter and refine using a level-set filter such as the Canny or
Laplacian, which will fit your surface to edges in the image.

For preprocessing for any of these segmentation filters, I would suggest
5-10 iterations of an edge-preserving smoothing such as anisotropic
diffusion or curvature-limited smoothing
(Gradient/CurvatureAnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter).  Set the time step to
.1 for gradient, .06 for curvature and start with a conductance of around
.5.  You will need to adjust the conductance depending on what strength
edges you need to preserve.

hope this helps,

Josh.

 Josh Cates
 Scientific Computing and Imaging Institute
 University of Utah
 Email: cates at sci . utah . edu
 Phone: (801) 587-7697