[Insight-users] Semiautomatic liver segmentation

Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:51:32 -0400

Hi Ivan,

We have experience ITK segmentation methods for liver
segmentation but using CT instead of MRI. The methods
that are well suited for this problem are:

   1) Watersheds
   2) LevelSets

Region growing methods are good as a first try and can
be used as initializers for the LevelSets methods. The
problem with region growing methods is that they don't
have any notion of "shape", so, it is enough to have
one single badly connected pixel and all the region
will leak.

LevelSets on the other hand allow to represent the
notion of shape by controlling the curvature.

Before encoding all this by yourself you should probably
play with:

A) The segmentation editor application (in InsightApplications)
    There is a new FLTK based version. It will allow you to
    navigate through the watershed hierarchy and get an idea of
    the suitability of the segmentation.

B) VolView has a set of plugins for level sets. In particular
    FastMarching, ShapeDetection and GeodesicActive contours.
    The later is probably the best adapted for this problem
    since you can control curvature.

If you can make an example dataset available we could be able
to give it a try and provide you more detailed advice.