[Insight-users] Problem in creating a 3D Mesh

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:48:36 -0500

Hi Giancarlo,

ITK provides methods for Segmentation and Registration,
not for visualization. You could combine ITK and VTK
in a single application, using ITK for image analysis
and VTK for visualization.

If you have a set of raw sliced, what you may want to do
is:

1) Write a MetaImage header for grouping the slices in
    a 3D volume.  This volume will be readable using the
    ImageFileReader class in ITK.

2) You should explore the multiple segmentation methods
    in ITK. The SoftwareGuide will give you an overview.
    http://www . itk . org/ItkSoftwareGuide . pdf
    Please see Chapter Nine.

3) The result of a segmentation process will typically
    be a binary image. You can convert this binary image
    into VTK and use the vtkContourFilter to generate a
    3D mesh suitable for visualization.