[Insight-users] Solving Linear System

Mathieu Malaterre Mathieu . Malaterre at creatis . insa-lyon . fr
Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:36:24 +0200

Kumar T.R. wrote:
> Hello Everyone
>
> I am wanting to solve a linear system of equations
>
> As far as I can understand there are different  methods to solve it
> based on different decompositions
>
> I do not know whether all the decompositions lead to the same
> answer?
>
> Also I am not clear which one is a better choice to use?
>
> And also there seems to be no LU-Decomposition /Solving in ITK ?
>
> Any insights into these would be really helpful for me
>
> Regards
> Kumar

Kumar,

	Have a look at:

	Insight/Utilities/vxl/vnl/algo/vnl_rnpoly_solve.cxx

You'll find a method called 'ludcmp' which performs LU decomposition.
You'll find also in the same directory cholevsky and QR matrix
decomposition.

	Their is no 'better choice' it depends on your problem.
For more info:

	http://mathworld . wolfram . com/LUDecomposition . html

HTH
mathieu