[Insight-users] Dimensionality in itkDICOMImageSeriesTest

Jenny Simpson simpson at cs . utah . edu
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:10:39 -0600 (MDT)

I'm trying to create a 3D volume out of a series of DICOM files by using
the itkDICOMImageSeriesTest.cxx code in a separate application.  However,
my application isn't working because the itk::Image declared in
itkDICOMImageSeriesTest.cxx is actually of dimension 5.  Here's the code:

typedef itk::Image<unsigned short,5> ImageNDType;

I need an itk::Image of this format:

typedef itk::Image<unsigned short,3> ImageNDType;

Why are there 5 dimensions?  What are the extra two dimensions for?

I tried just changing the 5 to a 3, but I don't get the data I expect and
my 3D (represented as 2D) image is blank.

Any advice on what to do here?  I could just read one DICOM file at a time
and stack the slices to form a 3D volume myself, but I'd rather not if
there's a better way.

Thanks,

Jenny Simpson
Scientific Computing and Imaging Institute
University of Utah