[Insight-users] On the convergence speed of level set methods

Joshua Cates cates at sci.utah.edu
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 14:15:21 -0600 (MDT)

Hi,

The best way to deal with this issue is to do a multi-scale segmentation
with level-sets, or initialize your level-set segmentation with a prior
generated by some faster method (confidence connected, for example). A
multi-scale approach uses downsampled volumes at progressively higher
resolutions to produce successively larger initializations.  By the time
you reach the full resolution, your initialization will be very close to
the final solution, requiring much few iterations.

There are a few slides on this in the tutorial:

http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/SegmentationMethodsOverview.pdf

In general, level-sets are most effective when given an initialization
that is reasonably close to the solution.  Different methods will be more
or less sensitive to initial conditions, but you will find some methods to
be useless if initialized from a "seed point" surface.  This is because
the solver might converge on many reasonable solutions between your seed
point and the solution that you are after.

Another approach is to run the code in parallel.  Both the narrow band
level-set solver and the sparse field level-set solver can take advantage
of multiple processors.

Josh.