[Insight-users] difference between 2D and 3D anisotropic filter?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 02:47:08 -0400

Hi Rodrigo,

The reason why it takes longer to compute the filtering in a
degenerate 3D image (a single slice image), is that you are
asking the filter to explore thousands of pixel neighborhoods
that do not exist.

If you have a 3D image and would like to filter the slices
independently, then you must use the ExtractImageFilter in
order to get one slice at a time, and represent this slice
as a 2D image.

Note that running 2D anisotropic diffusion in all the slices
of a 3D volume *is not* equivalent to run anisotropic diffusion
in the original full 3D image.

However, it is common in applications that involve user supervision
to present the user with previews of the effects of 3D filtering
by running the 2D versions of the same filters only in the slice
being presented to the user.  This should be taken with caution
since Slice extraction and Filtering rarely commute.