[Insight-users] Medial Axis Transform (MAT) or a skeleton in 3D image or surface mesh

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:29:56 -0400

Hi John,

Thanks for pointing this out.

Looking at the web site:
http://www.eastman.ucl.ac.uk/~thutton/powercrust/

It seems that the code is covered by a GPL license
which is very unfortunate...   :-/

GPL is too restrictive for allowing us to include
the code into ITK or VTK.

We could go back to the papers and reimplement
the code trying to use existing ITK classes.
It seems that a good start will be to use the
DanielssonDistanceMap filter in order to build
the distance map from the borders of the object.
This filter also produces a Voronoi map.

The second stage will then require to locate
ridges in the DistanceMap, the trace of such
ridges should correspond to the skeleton of the
figure.  We already have classes for detecting
ridges in 2D by using the eigen analysis of the
Hessian, and constructing a 3D parametric space
out of it.

--

The authors of the algorithm already posted a
number of implementation recommendations:

and made their papers available online:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/amenta/powercrust/refs.html

If somebody wants to tackle this development,
we will be glad to guide you through the process
and of course will encourage you to contribute
it back to ITK (under the open ITK license).

Any volunteers ?

    Thanks,

      Luis