[Insight-users] Medial Axis Transform (MAT) or a skeleton in 3D image or surface mesh

anast.jm at pg.com anast.jm at pg.com
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:52:36 -0400

--=_alternative 0067B22C85256E75_=

Posted for Tim....john

----- Forwarded by John Anast-JM/PGI on 04/13/2004 02:51 PM -----

Tim Hutton <T.Hutton at eastman.ucl.ac.uk>
04/13/2004 01:44 PM

        To:     John Anast-JM/PGI at PGI, insight-users at itk.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [Insight-users] Medial Axis Transform (MAT) or a skeleton in 3D image
or surface mesh

John,

(this mail might get bounced from the ITK list since I'm not a subscriber
so please repost if necessary)

Yes, vtkPowerCrustSurfaceReconstruction can give you the 3D skeleton of a
polygonal mesh. It works very well I find. Simply use the
GetMedialSurface() function after Update()'ing the filter to get the
medial
surface.

(Personally I find skeletons a poor way to represent objects since they
are
sensitive to small changes on the surface but this is off topic...)

The licence for the powercrust code is GPL - no problem unless you are
using the code in a commercial application. But I'm no expert on GPL.

Tim

At 13:36 13/04/2004 -0400, anast.jm at pg.com wrote:

>Luis/Inaxio
>
>Tim Hutton had ported the PowerCrust Reconstruction filter into vtk
>(http://www.eastman.ucl.ac.uk/~thutton/powercrust) from the origianl code
>by <http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/amenta>Nina Amenta,
><http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/sunghee>Sunghee Choi and
><http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/rkolluri>Ravi Krishna Kolluri
>(http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/amenta/powercrust/welcome.html). If I've
>gotten the story wrong, sorry Tim....
>
>This approach uses the Medial Axis Transform but I know nothing about it
>(other than it works pretty well in a number of surfacing cases I tried).

>Maybe there is some code that could be reused there. I don't know what
the
>status of the licensing is so need to be a bit careful how you use it.
>Perhaps Tim could be of assistance?
>
>....john
>

>Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com>
>Sent by: insight-users-admin at itk.org
>
>04/09/2004 05:20 PM
>
>         To:        Inaxio Aguirre <I.Aguirre at exeter.ac.uk>
>         cc:        insight-users at itk.org, (bcc: John Anast-JM/PGI)
>         Subject:        Re: [Insight-users] Medial Axis Transform (MAT)
> or a skeleton in 3D image or surface mesh
>

>Hi Inaxio,
>
>Nope, nothing yet...
>
>Any volunteers ?
>
>For anyone giving a course in Image Processing,
>that will make for a nice course project...     :-)
>

>   Luis
>
>-----------------------
>Inaxio Aguirre wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Referring to a previous mail
> > (http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/2003-March/002885.html) sent on
> > March last year I want to know if there is already something available
in
> > itk to compute the Medial Axis Transform (MAT) or a skeleton from a 3D

> image
> > or a corresponding polygonal surface mesh.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >     Inaxio

--=_alternative 0067B22C85256E75_=

(this mail might get bounced from the ITK list since I'm not a subscriber <br>
so please repost if necessary)<br>
Yes, vtkPowerCrustSurfaceReconstruction can give you the 3D skeleton of a <br>
polygonal mesh. It works very well I find. Simply use the <br>
GetMedialSurface() function after Update()'ing the filter to get the medial <br>
surface.<br>
(Personally I find skeletons a poor way to represent objects since they are <br>
sensitive to small changes on the surface but this is off topic...)<br>
The licence for the powercrust code is GPL - no problem unless you are <br>
using the code in a commercial application. But I'm no expert on GPL.<br>
Tim<br>
At 13:36 13/04/2004 -0400, anast.jm at pg.com wrote:<br>
&gt;Luis/Inaxio<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Tim Hutton had ported the PowerCrust Reconstruction filter into vtk <br>
&gt;(http://www.eastman.ucl.ac.uk/~thutton/powercrust) from the origianl code <br>
&gt;by &lt;http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/amenta&gt;Nina Amenta, <br>
&gt;&lt;http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/sunghee&gt;Sunghee Choi and <br>
&gt;&lt;http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/rkolluri&gt;Ravi Krishna Kolluri <br>
&gt;(http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/amenta/powercrust/welcome.html). If I've <br>
&gt;gotten the story wrong, sorry Tim....<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;This approach uses the Medial Axis Transform but I know nothing about it <br>
&gt;(other than it works pretty well in a number of surfacing cases I tried). <br>
&gt;Maybe there is some code that could be reused there. I don't know what the <br>
&gt;status of the licensing is so need to be a bit careful how you use it. </font>
&gt;<br>
&gt;....john<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Luis Ibanez &lt;luis.ibanez at kitware.com&gt;<br>
&gt;Sent by: insight-users-admin at itk.org<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;04/09/2004 05:20 PM<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; To: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Inaxio Aguirre &lt;I.Aguirre at exeter.ac.uk&gt;<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; cc: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;insight-users at itk.org, (bcc: John Anast-JM/PGI)<br>
&gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Subject: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Re: [Insight-users] Medial Axis Transform (MAT) <br>
&gt; or a skeleton in 3D image or surface mesh<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Hi Inaxio,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Nope, nothing yet...<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Any volunteers ?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;For anyone giving a course in Image Processing,<br>
&gt;that will make for a nice course project... &nbsp; &nbsp; :-)<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &nbsp; Luis<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;-----------------------<br>
&gt;Inaxio Aguirre wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Hello,<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Referring to a previous mail<br>
&gt; &gt; (http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/2003-March/002885.html) sent on<br>
&gt; &gt; March last year I want to know if there is already something available in<br>
&gt; &gt; itk to compute the Medial Axis Transform (MAT) or a skeleton from a 3D <br>
&gt; image<br>
&gt; &gt; or a corresponding polygonal surface mesh.<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt; &gt; &nbsp; &nbsp; Inaxio<br>
&gt;<br>