[Insight-users] Metric Error Measurements

Rahul Chander rahulch at interchange.ubc.ca
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 17:54:40 -0700

Hi,
I was wondering if there is a way in ITK to determine the amount of
uncertainty in registration using a particular registration scheme.
In other words, lets say I am using MutualInformation metric.  I get
some results out of the registration process in the form of a
registered image A.  Now in this image A, is a measurement possible
that indicates how successful the registration was for a given
pixel.  I would imagine that this error measurement could be
implemented differently to suite each metric.

Such a measurement would help in the validation of the registration
process itself.  For example, if the error in registration is high
for a particular portion of the image, then we could be made aware
of any artifacts being introduced.  In the absence of such a
measurement, we would "totally" rely on a medical expert to
qualitatively validate a given registered image.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Rahul.
--