[Insight-users] Metric Error Measurements

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:29:08 -0400

Hi Rahul,

You are raising an interesting question here.

There are no estimations of uncertainty available
for Image Fegistration in ITK at this point.

However, it shouldn't be too hard to implement
such an estimation. You could probably use the
second order derivatives of the Metric with
respect to the parameters of the Transform as
an indication of uncertainty.

Since the basic ITK image registration framework
allows you to compute the metrics for a specific
set of Transform parameters, you could implemnt
a finite difference estimations of the Metric
second derivatives with respect to the transform
parameters.

However, the estimation will be computationally
intensive. You could get a considerable speed up
by computing the metric in small local regions
as you already suggested.

Note that also the Jacobian of a transformed
point coordinates with respect to the Transform
parameters will give you an estimation of the
uncertainty on the transformation itself. That
is, how confident we are that a particular
point of the fixed image is to be mapped into
its homologous point in the moving image.

Please let us know if you need any details
on how to compute the Metric second derivatives
or the Jacobian of the transformed point
coordinates.