[Insight-users] Building shape model to be used with GeodesicActiveCountourShapePriorLevelSetImageFilter

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 9 02:39:29 EDT 2004

Based on Leventon's paper that initially described the shape model
level sets (
http://www.ai.mit.edu/people/leventon/Research/0006-CVPR/cvpr00.pdf ),
and looking at the ITK implementation thereof, this is correct.

Note that you need to use the signed level set output -- not binarized
inside/outside version or single isocontours from the level sets -- as
input to the ImagePCAShapeModelEstimator. As you probably know, and for
the benefit of others reading this, the "shape model" training images
need to be represented as signed distances from the edge of the shape.
Fortunately, this is the stock in trade of level sets, so you can use
that output raw.

I was looking around for a class in ITK that could compute signed
distance maps from a binary image, in case that is all the input one
has for training images (e.g. input from a non-level-set segmentation
method). I can't find anything explicitly there (is there??) but of
course one could create a signed distance image by two applications of
the Danielsson Distance Map filter to a binarized inside/outside image
and its complement, and subtracting the two.

Zach Pincus

Department of Biochemistry and Program in Biomedical Informatics
Stanford University School of Medicine