[Insight-users] GradientImageFilter vs. GradientRecursiveGaussianImageFilter

Michael michakuhn at gmx.ch
Thu Aug 19 08:23:25 EDT 2004

Hi,

what exactly are the differences between the GradientImageFilter and the
GradientRecursiveGaussianImageFilter (except of the way they calculate
the gradient image)?

In both cases I would expect an output image that consists of pixels
with values [derivative1, derivative2, ..., derivativeN]. This means in
2D pixels with values [derivativeX, derivativeY], where derivativeX
denotes the derivative in direction x at the pixel position and
derivativeY the derivative in direction y. Say, we have a pixel at
position [x0, y0]. Then derivativeX should evaluate to approximately

(GetPixel(x0 + delta, y0) - GetPixel(x0 - delta, y0)) / (2 * delta)

for both filters. Is this correct?

If yes, how do the filters perform (compared to each other) with respect
to speed and memory consumption?

If no, what are the filters supposed to do?

Thanks,

Michael