[Insight-users] About Examples/Segmentation/FastMarchingImageFIlter.cxx

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Aug 19 18:49:40 EDT 2004

Hi Diaoxianfen,

The output of the FastMarching image filter is a Time-Crossing map.

It tells you who long it took to the zero-set to get to each pixel.

Time is represented in artificial units in that time-crossing map.
Keep in mind that what LevelSet filters do is to compute the evolution
of a system dominated by Partial Differential Equations that are a
function of time. Time is simulated by incremental steps, and the
state of the system is updated iteratively. In this context, each
iteration corresponds to a discrete step in time.

When you analyze the output of the FastMarching level set image filter,
in order to see the extent of the zero-set at a given instant you must
select a time in that time-crossing map. That selection is done in the
SoftwareGuide example with a thresholding filter.

So, to answer you question: yes the timeThreshold parameter is both
things. It is a time-value in the time-crossing map, and it is an
intensity in the output image of the FastMarching filter... because
the output of this filter is the time-crossing map itself.