[Insight-users] Visualization of the segmented data.

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Aug 28 09:16:48 EDT 2004

Hi Bear,

1) Please read the tutorial on Integration of ITK and VTK

http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/GettingStarted-II.pdf

2)  Then look at the code example in

     InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk/
                    itkReadITKImageShowVTK.cxx

You can take this code, provide as input the binary image resulting
from your segmentation, convert it in to a vtkImageData, and pass it
to a vtkContour filter. The resulting vtkPolyData can be rendered
with a standard VTK pipeline (vtkPolyDataMapper, vtkActor....etc).

In general it is not a good idea to Volume render a Binary image,
since they tend to generate a lot of artifacts. You are probably better
off with the method described above for surface rendering the edges of
the segmented regions.

3) If after using the vtkContour filter you find that there are blocky
    artifacts on the extracted surface, then you should try the
    itkAntiAlias filter on the Binary image before converting it to a
    VTK image.

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1AntiAliasBinaryImageFilter.html

   Regards

      Luis