[Insight-users] Computation time

Radhika Sivaramakrishna Radhika Sivaramakrishna" <radshashi at earthlink.net
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:40:11 -0800

Hi Luis,
I implemented a program to segment T1-weighted 3D brain images. I
implemented this first in IDL and then also reimplemented this in ITK. I
confirmed that the results I get are the same with both implementations. I
find that the IDL program runs in a fraction of time compared to the ITK
one. With IDL, it is just less than a minute whereas with IDL it is a good
10-15 minutes for each image. Is this something that you would expect or am
I making some mistake? I would have thought that because IDL is higher
level, that it would need more time.

I have used all the standard filters in ITK, and connected them in a
pipeline [typical filters [apart from Read, Write etc] are
BinaryThresholdImageFilter, ConnectedComponentImageFilter,
RelabelComponentImageFilter etc]. I have also had to use iterators to do
some processing.
What could be the computationally intensive part, the pipeline of filters or
the use of iterators?

Thanks
Radhika