[Insight-users] Re: ITK acknowledgement

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:06:47 -0500

Hi Ivan,

Here are some options on how you can
acknowledge the use of ITK and/or VTK.

It depends on whether you want to put this
as a citation or as a line or two in the
Acknowledgments section of a paper.

If you want to put a citation for ITK you
may want to use any of the following:

A) The paper:

T.S. Yoo, M. J. Ackerman, W. E. Lorensen, W. Schroeder, V. Chalana, S.
Aylward, D. Metaxes, R. Whitaker. Engineering and Algorithm Design for
an Image Processing API: A Technical Report on ITK - The Insight
Toolkit. In Proc. of Medicine Meets Virtual Reality, J. Westwood, ed.,
IOS Press Amsterdam pp 586-592 (2002).

B) The books:

    "Insight into Images"
     edited by Terry Yoo
     published by A.K. Peters 2004
     ISBN: 1-56881-217-5

    "The ITK Software Guide"
     Ibanez, Schroeder, Ng, Cates.
     published by Kitware Inc.
     ISBN: 1-930934-10-6

C) The Web site:

    "The Insight Segmentation and Registration Toolkit"
     www.itk.org

If you want to put it in the acknowledgment section,
a phrase like the following may be used:

"This work benefited from the use of the Insight Segmentation
  and Registration Toolkit (ITK), an open source software
  developed as an initiative of the U.S. National Library
  of Medicine and available at www.itk.org."

For citations about VTK you may want to use any of the
books:

A) "The Visualization Toolkit,
     An Object-Oriented Approach To 3D Graphics "
     3rd Edition
     Schroeder, Martin, Lorensen
     ISBN 1-930934-07-6

B) "The VTK Users's Guide"
     published by Kitware Inc.
     ISBN 1-930934-08-4

or if you want to add a phrase in the acknowledgments
section, something like the following could be used:

"This work benefited from the use of the Visualization
  Toolkit (VTK), an open source software mainly developed
  by Kitware Inc. and freely available at www.vtk.org."

------

Please let us know if you have further questions,