[Insight-users] Java Wrappers

Alejandro Canales Ochoa aco at cion.com.mx
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 01:39:31 -0600

Hi

 I just followed your instructions and I have a working installation of ITK with java wrappers.  I found a couple of issues in the process:

	The file CableSwig\GCC\libiberty\floatformat.c did not compile due an error. The definition _STDC_ is not defined in the compilation environment, so the precompiler redefines memcpy and memset:

#ifdef __STDC__
#include <stddef.h>
extern void *memcpy (void *s1, const void *s2, size_t n);
extern void *memset (void *s, int c, size_t n);
#else
extern char *memcpy ();
extern char *memset ();

I just comment out this portion of code and the compilation works fine. I am using Visual C++ 6.0 with any patch applied. I am downloading the Service Pack 5 for Visual C++ and I will try to recompile with the portion of code as it comes from the CVS.

	The second issue: After the compilation succeed, I move the jar (InsightToolkit.jar) and the corresponding Dll’s from the build path to another directory. When I run my first program, the java runtime was unable to load the native libraries, no mater I correctly set my CLASSPATH and my PATH (currently I use windows) environment variables to the directory where I move the files.
	I look the source code of a class named itkbase  and I see that the class expects the Dlls to be in the installation directory, so I point my library path to this directory and voila!, it works!. I think that hard coding the path of the Dlls in this class removes flexibility to the applications developed with the ITK java Wrappers.

	Next days I will incorporate some functionality from ITK to my application. I hope I will be lucky.

	Thanks for the advice
	Alejandro Canales