[Insight-users] PCAShapeModelEstimator -- seems way too slow?

Zachary Pincus zpincus@stanford.edu
Fri May 14 08:19:36 EDT 2004

Hello,

Recently, I've been doing some PCA work, and I noticed that itk's
ImagePCAShapeModelEstimator seems to be surprisingly slow.

I have, for example, 1100 images of size 20x15 -- a pretty modest data
set to do PCA on. Matlab (running on a 450 MHz ultrasparc-II) can
compute the principal components on such a dataset in a few seconds,
even when I intentionally do things in a particularly slow way.

Using the ITK PCA estimator, this same operation takes 15+ minutes on
my personal machine (867 mhz g4). It's not a RAM or VM issue since the
process never seems to grab more than 100 megs of RAM, and doesn't hit
the disk at all.

This seems especially strange given the effort in the PCA class's
implementation toward efficiency. (Though I do realize that a dataset
such as mine with more images than pixels per image does defeat some of
the optimizations rolled in...)

What could I possibly be doing wrong? I profiled the itk PCA code, and
nothing looks overtly wrong -- it just seems to take way too long!

Zach Pincus

Department of Biochemistry and Program in Biomedical Informatics
Stanford University School of Medicine