[Insight-users] Suggestion -- New Memeber Welcoming Package

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun May 30 09:30:51 EDT 2004

Hi Arash,

Thanks for your comments.

1) I agree with you that having HTML in parallel
    to PDF will help to have an easy start.

    We will look into exporting the
    "Getting Started I" session in HTML.

2) Regarding the "Annotated Class List":

    This has been provided by Doxygen on
    a nightly basis for several years now...

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/annotated.html

    there is also the Alphabetical list of classes:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classes.html

    there is a list of classes grouped by concepts:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/modules.html

    there is a list of all the method names in the toolkit

http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/functions.html

    there is a list of all the files

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/files.html

    they are simply the options/link in the top menu
    of the main Doxygen page

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/index.html

     These pages have been posted nightly since
     July 2001. I'm afraid that users simply don't
     take the time to browse the pages.

    We can add all this information to the Welcoming
    page... but then... it will be just a copy of
    the Documentation page:

      http://www.itk.org/HTML/Documentation.htm

3) CVS download instructions are already provided

       http://www.itk.org/HTML/Download.htm

4) Regarding the link from Classes to Examples:

    Well, that's what the SoftwareGuide Index is.
    When you take the PDF document and click on any
    of the entries in the Index, the hyperlink led
    you to the section where a coding example is
    discussed, and when you click on any of the
    class names in the text, it will take you to the
    corresponding Doxygen page.

    It is true, however, that we could be using the
    "\example" links naturally provided by Doxygen.
    Just to give you some historical background, when
    we started looking for a way of designing the
    SoftwareGuide we looked at Doxygen capabilities
    as the best first options for creating the entire
    book.  However, after a couple of tries it became
    clear that the far simpler mechanisms of inserting
    Latex code and splitting the files with a short
    Perl script was more effective, easier to write,
    and provided more freedom regarding the formatting
    of the document.

---

Here is the fundamental dilemma in documentation:

       When you provide too much,
              people just don't read it.    :-/