[Insight-users] Suggestion(s) for rigid registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Oct 7 17:16:29 EDT 2004

Hi Martin,

You are dealing with quite a difficult registration problem.

About you questions:

1) Correcting the signal bias will help. However the bias
    distribution that you have in the floating image is not
    the typical bias present in MRI. You actually have high
    intensities in two regions close to the borders plus
    the image seem to be cropped in a non-orthogonal field
    of view (the elliptical mask that you mention).

    You will have to modify the MRIBiasField correction filter
    in order to consider *only* the pixels inside the elliptical
    mask. You probably can do this too by inserting a threshold
    criteria in the pixels values being considered by the MRI
    Bias field corrections filter.

2) It is difficult to say what will be an *optimal* metric
    for this case... but given that it it a multi-modality
    case, you will have to choose between any of the Mutual
    Information implementation available in ITK.

    You probably want to try first the implementation of
    the Mattes Mutual Information. Note that not all the
    Image Metrics in ITK support the masking option.
    MattesMI will support it. You can use an itkSpatialObject
    in order to provide the elliptical mask
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1EllipseSpatialObject.html

    You will find examples on the use of Masking on the directory

         Insight/Examples/Registration

3) If you start using Mutual Information metrics, you
    probably want to try the OnePlusOne evolutionary
    algorithm. This algorithm is robust for optimizing
    noisy functions.