[Insight-users] Tracking the motion of the heart

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Oct 8 10:15:40 EDT 2004

Hi Kathrin,

Could you please provide more details regarding your images.

Are they 3D CTs ?
What is the slice spacing (the pixel size in millimeters)?

How many snapshopts you get from the cardiac cycle ?

The choice of the technique is highly dependent on the
characteristics of your image.

For the wall segmentation could think of:

    -  Deformable models
    -  Level Sets

you could also consider more exotic methods such as the
mobile robot exploration approach described in

A Virtual Exploring Robot for Adaptive Left Ventricle
Contour Detection in Cardiac MR Images
F. Behloul, B.P.F. Lelieveldt,
R.J. van der Geest,  J.H.C. Reiber
MICCAI 2001.

Regarding the identification of rotation, this will
depend on how tissue details are visible in your images.
Unfortunately most segmentation methods will focus
on the walls and will provide few support of identifying
movements in the direction tangent to the wall.

Note that you can see this as a case of Deformable registration
between the image at time T(i) and the image as time T(i+1).
You could address this by performing a Model based segmentation
of the image at T0, and then do a Model-to-Image registration
with the images at subsequent times.

Please let us know more details about your images,