[Insight-users] Tracking the motion of the heart

Kathrin Tingelhoff kathrin.tingelhoff at igd.fhg.de
Sat Oct 9 11:38:50 EDT 2004

Hello Luis,

thanks for the information!
The images represent a cardiac cycle that means the whole heart is
recorded at 21 points in time. At each point 70 slice represent the heart
each of the slices is 3mm thick. There are 1470 DICOM-images that describe
the whole cardiac cycle.

Thanks,
Kathrin

> Hi Kathrin,
>
> Could you please provide more details regarding your images.
>
> Are they 3D CTs ?
> What is the slice spacing (the pixel size in millimeters)?
>
> How many snapshopts you get from the cardiac cycle ?
>
> The choice of the technique is highly dependent on the
> characteristics of your image.
>
> For the wall segmentation could think of:
>
>     -  Deformable models
>     -  Level Sets
>
> you could also consider more exotic methods such as the
> mobile robot exploration approach described in
>
> A Virtual Exploring Robot for Adaptive Left Ventricle
> Contour Detection in Cardiac MR Images
> F. Behloul, B.P.F. Lelieveldt,
> R.J. van der Geest,  J.H.C. Reiber
> MICCAI 2001.
>

> Regarding the identification of rotation, this will
> depend on how tissue details are visible in your images.
> Unfortunately most segmentation methods will focus
> on the walls and will provide few support of identifying
> movements in the direction tangent to the wall.
>
> Note that you can see this as a case of Deformable registration
> between the image at time T(i) and the image as time T(i+1).
> You could address this by performing a Model based segmentation
> of the image at T0, and then do a Model-to-Image registration
> with the images at subsequent times.
>

> Please let us know more details about your images,
>

>    Thanks
>

>      Luis
>

> -------------------------
> Kathrin Tingelhoff wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I'm going to track the motion of the heart out of computer tomography
images. The task is to make a difference between rotation and
>> contraction.
>> The algorithm should segment the image data and follow some points in
order to compute the motion.
>> The algorithm should also be equal to a pipeline which itself consists
of
>> several filters from itk. Can anyone make a proposal which filters I
should use? Or does anyone of you, have experience how to track the
rotation of the heart?