[Insight-users] Re: Speed of B-Splines Deformable Registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Oct 8 14:01:54 EDT 2004

Hi Andy,

The current implementation of BSpline registration
is not quite optimal.

There are a number of standard practices that we
are not taking advantage of in the current ITK
implementation.

For example, the computation of Metric Derivatives
could be done by considering only the area of influence
of a particular BSpline grid node, instead of computing
it over the entire image.

The group of Daniel Rueckert group at the Imperial College
of London is currently porting some of their optimized
BSpline registration to ITK classes, however, it may take
a while before they are fully integrated in the toolkit.

In the meantime, your best options are:

   1) Do multi-Resolution on the Image Data

   2) Do multi-Resolution on the BSpline grid
      (see example DeformableRegistration6.cxx)

Please let us know if you have further questions.