[Insight-users] Help needed with 2D/3D registration

Paul de Bruin pauldebruin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 09:51:46 EDT 2004

Hello List,

I have been playing with 2D/3D registration (matching digitally
reconstructed radiographs from CT to X-ray images). However, I am
having trouble getting registration to work with most metrics.

I used the ItensityBansed2D3DRegistration application from the
InsightApplications as an example to build my own code (which I left
mostly intact except for ripping out the ImagePyramid). The only
metric that I have successfully been able to use is the
MeanReciprocalSquareDifferenceImageToImageMetric. Registration using
all other metrics results in either a runtime error or a single step
of the registration process after which optimization ends.

After looking at the code of some of the metrics, I suspect that the
problems may be a result of using "flat" 3D images (i.e. 3D images
with size 1 in one of the dimensions).

If anyone is using ITK to register DRRs and X-rays (successfully) then
I would very much like to come into contact with you.

Thanks,
Paul