[Insight-users] Help needed with 2D/3D registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Oct 27 13:38:10 EDT 2004

Hi Paul,

When you got a "run time" error, did you verified if
the application was actually throwing an exception ?

It is common to find that the Metrics throw exceptions
when the images have overlapping regions that are too
small.

You may want to make sure that you put the StartRegistration()
call inside a try/catch block.

Regarding the Metrics and the effect of using "degenerate"
images (3D images with a single slice), you have to avoid
the metrics that compute gradients on their images.  Many
metrics in ITK does this because in that way you can use
the Jacobian of the transform and the image gradient in
order to compute the Metric derivatives in a faster way.

Another way to get around this problem is to use optimizers
that do not require the Metric to provide derivatives. For
example the OnePlusOne evolutionary optimizer, or by modifying
any of the Metrics for computing derivatives just by using
finite differences.

Please let us know if you have further questions,

    Thanks,

      Luis