[Insight-users] Re: ITK PROJECT : Vertebra segmentation from MRI

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Aug 8 09:43:37 EDT 2005

Hi Jordi,

Welcome to ITK,

Your project sounds quite interesting.

There is a good number of segmentation algorithms
available in ITK that can help you in your task
of extracting a vertebra from MR images.

Note however that the first thing you must ensure
is that your MR image have enough resolution between
slices.

It is unfortunately too common to acquire MRI datasets
where the inter-slice spacing is 3mm or more. Given that
a typical vertebrae is about 25mm to 30mm in height, such
datasets with large spacings are useless for shape extraction.

The first thing that you should do when you receive a dataset
is not to look at the slices but to the orthogonal view to them.

In this way you will appreciate how much the inter-slice spacing
may complicate the shape extraction, and you will also be able
to asses how much acquisition noise is present in the slices.

In order to get familiar with ITK you *MUST* read the ITK
Software Guide.

    http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

In particular the "Segmentation" Chapter. Where you will find
details on how to use region growing methods, Level Sets,
Watersheds as well as deformable models.

Please let us know if you have further questions,