[Insight-users] How to define and operate on arbitrarily oriented image regions?

Jøger Hansegård jogerh at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 05:56:30 EDT 2005

I want to define a region in a 3D ITK image. The region is shaped as a
quadratic prism, but may be oriented arbitrarily in space. That means
that the sides of the prism are generally not parallel to the image
axes.

* Is it possible to define such a region using ITK out of the box? I
have only been able to find regions that have sides parallel to the
image axes.

On this region, I would like to do the following:
* Filtering - I am interested in filtering the image only within the
specified region. Can ITK filters, such as the smoothing filters or
gradient filters, operate on such regions?
* Sub volume iteration - can any of the image iterators operate only
on the pixels within this region?
* Sub volume data extraction -  I need to extract the sub volume
included in the region using some type of interpolation, for example
nearest neigbor or bilinear interpolation. The result should be a new
image of the same size as the requested region, and with pixel values
sampled on a regular grid that is oriented along the quadratic prism
region.

Is this functionality available in ITK, and if so, where should I look
for documentation?
If this functionality is not available, I'll have to implement this.
Any hints on which base classes to use for each type of functionality
is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jøger Hansegård