[Insight-users] registration of gray matters

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Dec 7 11:50:36 EST 2005

Hi Marc,

1) When you started registering binary images,
    Did you changed the Image Metric  ?

    You probably should use a metric such as the

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1KappaStatisticImageToImageMetric.html

    or the

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1MatchCardinalityImageToImageMetric.html

    that are intended for binary (or labeled) images.

2) Did you changed the interpolator ?

    Once you use binary images you should only use
    a Nearest Neighbor interpolator.

In any case,
I would suggest you that instead of registering the masks,
you could use the Masks in order to restrict the registration
method to use only the pixels in the Gray matter.

Please read the ITK Software Guide

          http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

In particular Section 8.11.3:

"Registration using masks constructed with Spatial objects"

in pdf-page 464.

The associated source code example can be found in

          Insight/Examples/Registration/
                      ImageRegistration12.cxx

Note that, depending on the ImageMetric that you are using,
you may want to extend (dilate) the Masks a bit in order to
make sure that a band of pixels *outside* of the gray matter
is also participating in the registration.  The reason why
you need those pixels is that they will help to make your
metric degrade when the two images are not well aligned.