[Insight-users] Re: [Insight-developers] question for itk pipeline expert

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Dec 8 07:26:39 EST 2005

Hi Gaetan,

     Gaetan Lehmann wrote:

     > how can I evaluate the performance of the
     > filters in that situation ?

    Enjoy the Power of Open Source !

    Go to the source code of the filter that you
    want to profile and add a TimeProbe as a member
    variable.

    If the filter is not threaded, simply Start the
    TimeProbe at the beginning of the GenerateData()
    method, and Stop it at the end of the same method.

    If the filer is threaded, Start() the TimeProbe in
    the "BeforeThreadedGenerateData()" method and
    Stop() the TimeProbe in the "AfterThreadedGenerateData()"
    method.

    If you want to force the filters to re-execute,
    multiple times in order to have better statistics,
    then you can invoke the "Modified()" method on them
    before calling "Update()".

    Add a Get method to the filter in order to gain
    access to the probe, so when you are done running
    the filters you can invoke from outside the filter
    the report of the Time Probe.  At that point, pay
    particular attention at the report on "Number of
    Starts" and "Number of Stops", since that will
    tell you how many times the "Generate Data" method
    was executed.

       Regards

        Luis