[Insight-users] Inverse of ScaleSkewVersor3DTransform

Karthik Krishnan Karthik.Krishnan at kitware.com
Fri Dec 16 10:25:42 EST 2005

Karthik Krishnan wrote:

> Please correct me if I am wrong:
>
> A ScaleSkewVersor3DTransform is exactly the same as an
> AffineTransform, with a more intuitive representation of parameters.
> (ie the 3 scales and 6 skews in addition to the versor and translation)
>
> The inverse is then the inverse of the affine matrix, which is another
> affine transform.
>
> I am pretty sure somebody has done the math to decompose an affine
> transform into the scale, skew, Rotation matrix and translation
> components. At least it sounds like something one would often want to
> do to get a meaningful interpretation from an affine transform. If you
> do find that, we could add it back into the class.

On second thought, this might be harder than it seems. Every
ScaleSkewVersor3DTransform can be represented by an affine transform.
The mapping

{ ScaleSkewVersor3DTransform }  ---- >  { AffineTransform }

is a many to one mapping. (3 scale +6 skew +3 versor parameters + 3
translation parameters,,, all independent of each other) to represent
the (12 parameters of the affine matrix).

So the inverse decomposition will not be unique.