[Insight-users] How to specify image masks for registration

Karthik Krishnan Karthik.Krishnan at kitware.com
Mon Dec 19 13:58:23 EST 2005

Andrew Li wrote:

>Dear Itk users:
>
>We are planning to co-register an atlas with an image dataset.
>The atlas is the moving dataset and the image dataset is the fixed
>dataset.
>
>We are planning to start with basic methods and then to try some more
>sophisticated ones if it is necessary.
>
>First thing first, we would like to specify a Moving-Image-Mask as the
>non-zero pixels in the atlas.
>
>Question #1: how to prepare the input for the function
>SetMovingImageMask()?  Could we just use the atlas directly? Or we need
>to prepare the mask with a fixed value, say 1?

Any spatial object will do. Spatial objects in ITK provide convenient
ways to represent cuboids, ellipses, tubes....
If your mask is a binary image, you can use the ImageMaskSpatialObject,
which represents an arbitrarily shaped image mask.

See
http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Examples/Registration/ImageRegistration12.cxx?annotate=1.8&root=Insight

-karthik