[Insight-users] Re: Journal submission gone wrong - probably

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Dec 22 10:33:34 EST 2005

Hi Richard,

Thanks for posting your contribution to the Insight Journal !

---

I'm checking on the content of your submission, and the
software part seems to be fine. The CMakeLists.txt file
configures fine with ccmake, and the code builds fine too.
(I'm doing this with gcc3.4 in Cygwin).

What is a bit unusual is that you packed the paper inside
a directory in your submission. This is probably our fault
since we may not have explained our assumptions clearly
in the submission instructions.

We assume that you post the paper as a PDF document.
Just the PDF, we don't really need the original Latex,
and graphics part, although we are glad to have it and
to offer it to the readers.

A typical submission will upload the PDF (not compressed nor
tarred, just the PDF, and then the .tgz or .zip directory with
the code, test images and the CMakeLists.txt file.

By having the PDF uploaded directly, the reader of the paper
will be able to go straight for the document, and start reading
it while on the side she/he is downloading the tar.gz file with
the code an test images.

In your submission, the sources of the paper are available
in one subdirectory, but the actual PDF is not sent.  The
testing system does not attempt to build your paper.

I build your article without any problem, just typed make in
the subdirectory and got the PDF. The paper looks great, and
it is the kind of technical report that we want to see in IJ
submission.

--

Our suggestion will be that you post your contribution in the
following way:

1) The PDF file of the paper

2) The tar.gz file of the Source code
    (including test images and CMakeLists.txt file)

3) The tar.gz file with the sources of the paper.
    (This is not really necessary, but you are welcome
     to post it. It will actually be a good example of
     full Open Access if you do it this way).

You can attempt this as a "second revision" of your paper.
The Insight Journal, (as opposed to traditional publishing)
let you upload multiple versions of your paper and code.
In this way, improvements and corrections made to the original
version, can be shared with the community.

Please let us know if you find any other problem with
the submission. The Insight Journal is still quite new
and we are happy to received suggestions on how to
improve it.