[Insight-users] Dense Transformations in ITK

Peter Lorenzen lorenzen at email.unc.edu
Mon Feb 7 19:00:37 EST 2005

Hello,

I am considering developing an ITK-based high-dimensional image
registration application where the transformation involved is a dense
map (i.e. for n-dimensional data, an n-dimensional vector at each
indexed spatial location). Although ITK provides a great number of
transformation models, does anyone know if there are plans specialize
itk::Transform to implement a dense map?

To illustrate the meaning of "dense" consider:

   typedef itk::Vector< float, ImageDimension >  VectorType;
   typedef itk::Image< VectorType, ImageDimension >
DenseTransformationType;

In the ITK transformation framework, we would want something along the
lines of itk::DenseTransform instead.

I can certainly use the itk::Image< VectorType, ImageDimension > model
above, but it would be nice use the existing ITK registration framework
(i.e., define a metric, optimizer, etc. and connect a series of
existing filters) instead.

Thanks,

- Peter

--