[Insight-users] Dense Transformations in ITK

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Feb 8 18:41:08 EST 2005

Hi Peter,

ITK already  provide registration methods based on Dense Maps.
We call them deformation fields, but are pretty much the same thing.

You may want to look at the Demons registration method, that
accepts a deformation fields as initialization, and refines it
by using optical flow.

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1DemonsRegistrationFilter.html
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1SymmetricForcesDemonsRegistrationFilter.html

You may also want to look at the LevelSet deformable registration
filter,
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1LevelSetMotionRegistrationFilter.html

and to the WarpImageFilter.
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1WarpImageFilter.html

This last one will resamples an image, by using a deformation
field as 'Transform'.  You will find examples on the use of
these filters in the directory

                Insight/Examples/Registration

BTW, if you implement a new registration algorithm, and you are
willing to contribute it to ITK, we will be happy to add it to
the toolkit.