[Insight-users] Shape prior level sets: question about MAPCostFunction

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 16 18:26:40 EST 2005

You are correct. The L-inf norm [max] of the difference of two signed
distance functions only approximates the undirected Hausdorff distance
if (a) narrow banding is not used, (b) both zero-level sets of the
distance functions lie within whichever narrow band is chosen, or (c)
narrow bands for both functions are used, instead of selecting one.

Within the ITK framework, the best hope is (b). The approximation to
undirected Hausdorff distance gets better as the optimizer drives the
shape signed distance function closer to the current level set edges
(the narrow band of which we use). You are correct that this totally
breaks if the level set is very small and the shape model is
initialized to be very large. Hopefully this is a rare case: if
initialized sensibly, these two should basically stay in synch through
the level set evolution, and (b) will never get too badly violated.

Zach