[Insight-users] (no subject)

Li, George (NIH/NCI) ligeorge at mail.nih.gov
Fri Feb 25 16:57:24 EST 2005

Hi, Luis and all users:

I have done a little performance testing between ITK2.0.0 and ITK1.8.0.
Unfortunately, using ITK2.0.0, a registration work is about 20% slower.
I don't know if anyone else have experienced this.

Here is what I did. My code is to do 3D image registration using Mattes
metric, evolutionary optimizer, and Versor3DTransform. For fixed 500
iterations, it took 60 seconds using ITK2.0.0, while it took 48 seconds
using ITK1.8.0. These numbers are average of three runs with the same
two images on the same machine under identical conditions.

This is just to post a concern about the performance, and hopefully, it
would not become a trend for future release. Usually, I would have to
iterate 10,000 times for a good registration, which is consistent with
what in Martin Styner's paper. If my program were used in clinic, to let
users wait another 20% more time after a new release, they probably
would rather stay with the old version. That is reality.

Thanks for all the work to keep ITK growing.

Regards,

George