[Insight-users] A Few Questions and Problems

Jens Eickmeyer eickmeyer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 02:47:04 EST 2005

Hi!

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 15:40:43 -0600, Amitesh Agarwal
<amiteshagarwal at gmail.com> wrote:
> 4) Opening and closing operation in a binary image
>
> I just wanted to know if there is any filter present in ITK for
> performing opening and closing operation in a given Binary Image. It
> is my understanding that BinaryErode and BinaryDilate do similar
> operation in effect but not exactly the same.
I haven't found such a filter, too. I use BinaryDilate and BinaryErode
to apply closing to a binary image. But why are you thinking that this
hasn't the same effect? Closing is just a dilation followed by am
erosion and opening is just an erosion followed by a dilation. If
BinaryErode and BinaryDilate work correctly - and I think we can
assume this - the combined execution should lead to the right results.

Jens