[Insight-users] A Few Questions and Problems

Amitesh Agarwal amiteshagarwal at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 11:30:53 EST 2005

Hi Jens,

Well if you refer to the book "Digital Image Processing" by Rafeal C.
Gonzalez & Richard E. Woods Section 9.2 & 9.3 specifically 9.3 It says
"Dilation expands an image and erosion shrinks it ........ Opening
Generally Smoothes the contour of an object, breaks narrow isthumuses
and eliminates thin protrusion. Closing also tends to smooth sections
of countour, as opposed to opening, it generally fuses narrow breaks
and long thin gulfs, eliminates small holes, and fills gaps in the
countour"

Moreover in certain situtations, as I have experienced while working
with binary image of skull and brain,  a combination of BinaryErode
and BinaryDilate doesn't completly solve the problem of opening and
closing in some regions. Some regions actually start merging with each
other if I use a bigger BinaryStructuralBallBearingElement (5x5x5) for
better removal of undesirable noise in the data in the order first
BinaryErode and then BinaryDilate with minimum erosion and maximum
dilation for best results.

I hope this clarifies my point.

Amitesh