[Insight-users] Scaling in Registration

Michael Hardisty m.hardisty at utoronto.ca
Wed Jan 5 10:40:44 EST 2005

I am attempting to use a centred affine transform to register two 3D
volumes.  I believe that the registration should be a combination of
shearing, scaling, rotation and translation.  Therefore the Affine
transform seems like the ideal choice.  The problem I am having is that
when I do the registration I never get proper scaling of the volumes.
The Image I am registering is smaller than the target image and remains
smaller after the registration has converged.  The other parts of the
transformation look relatively good, the scaling is the only part of the
registration that seems totally off.  I thought that the scaling might
be suppressed by the particular metric that I am using
(MeanSquaresImageToImageMetric), but I am not sure.  This leads me to
several questions:

1)  How do the metrics evaluate when the images have different pixel
densities?  Does it make sense to suggest that by stretching the moving
image over more target pixels that this could cause a greater metric
value because more pixels are included?  If so which metric is the most
suited to deal with this problem?

2)  Are there any other parts of the registration process that may
effect the scaling of the moving image?  What other strategies could I
take to encourage more scaling?

Current Registration Components:
Metric:         MeanSquaresImageToImageMetric
Interpolator:  LinearInterpolateImageFunction
Optimizer:     RegularStepGradientDescentOptimizer
Transform:    CenteredAffineTransform
Image Types: uCT (pixel type = float)

Michael Hardisty
M.A.Sc Student
University of Toronto
Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory
Sunnybrook & Women's College Health Sciences Centre