[Insight-users] unable to build itk without building zlib and png libs

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Jan 6 10:34:21 EST 2005

Gaetan Lehmann wrote:
> If we can't use ITK with system libs, perhap's ITK_USE_SYSTEM_PNG,
> ITK_USE_SYSTEM_TIFF, and ITK_USE_SYSTEM_ZLIB may be removed for the
> next  release :-)

I think there has been some confusion here.  The option to use a system
library has been removed only for JPEG because ITK now has jpeg8,
jpeg12, and jpeg16 libraries that are all compiled specially (part of
recent GDCM changes).  The options for tiff, zlib, and png are still
supposed to work, and they are provided specifically for people trying
to create packages on systems like Linux.  I will investigate this
problem when I get a chance.

-Brad