[Insight-users] unable to build itk without building zlib and png libs

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Jan 10 14:23:26 EST 2005

Brad King wrote:
> Gaetan Lehmann wrote:
>
>> If we can't use ITK with system libs, perhap's ITK_USE_SYSTEM_PNG,
>> ITK_USE_SYSTEM_TIFF, and ITK_USE_SYSTEM_ZLIB may be removed for the
>> next  release :-)
>

> I think there has been some confusion here.  The option to use a system
> library has been removed only for JPEG because ITK now has jpeg8,
> jpeg12, and jpeg16 libraries that are all compiled specially (part of
> recent GDCM changes).  The options for tiff, zlib, and png are still
> supposed to work, and they are provided specifically for people trying
> to create packages on systems like Linux.  I will investigate this
> problem when I get a chance.

Okay, it looks like the SpatialObjects example was trying to link
directly to itkzlib and itkpng.  I've fixed this to use
${ITK_ZLIB_LIBRARIES} and ${ITK_PNG_LIBRARIES} instead, which will
either reference itkzlib/itkpng or the system versions depending on the
settings of ITK_USE_SYSTEM_ZLIB and ITK_USE_SYSTEM_PNG.  This should
solve the problem.

-Brad